Bring the World to You
Posted on 21 May by Lakeside Joondalup
International family night ideas
While we might not be able to travel just yet, we can always bring the international flavour home for the whole family to enjoy. If you’re looking for ways to change up your standard family nights, here are some of our ideas to transport yourselves around the world, without leaving the comfort of your home. And for those who want to try these ideas but may need a bit more time up their sleeve, visit Lakeside Joondalup for easy, internationally inspired takeaway options.
The home of everything we love – fresh pasta, pizza, cheeses, wine and delicious desserts. Take the family on an Italian adventure with these suggestions:
- Start with a classic antipasto platter – complete with fresh prosciutto, salami, cheese, olives and roasted vegetables. Stock up on your fresh produce from Farmer Jack's.
- It wouldn’t be an Italian night without pasta or pizza as your main meal and a beautiful glass of wine for the adults. Get the whole family involved and make your own pizza dough or pasta from scratch.
- Try this Italian Sausage Ragu with Rag Pasta recipe for some inspiration.
- Finish with something sweet – tiramisu, cannoli or everyone’s Italian favourite, gelato!
- What to Watch - La Dolce Vita, Pinocchio, The Tourist, Roman Holiday or Under the Tuscan Sun.
- Music Playlist – embrace the theme with musica found here.
Cooler months means comfort food, and the United Kingdom has some delicious dishes that tick all the boxes to keep us warm. Bring the British vibe to your family’s night or morning, and try these:
- Think Sunday roasts, shepherd’s pie, fish and chips, sticky date pudding or a full, hearty breakfast for the ultimate British feast. Make it quick and easy with these delicacies from The Sovereign Arms or Chicken N Fish!
- One of our personal favourites is this Shepherd’s Pie recipe.
- What to Watch - Notting Hill, Love Actually, Bridget Jones Diary, The King’s Speech, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Spiceworld the Movie, Snatch, Billy Elliot or Harry Potter.
- Music Playlist – The Beatles, British Pop Hits or British Dinner Party.
- British Guessing Game – have some fun with the family and show images or ask quiz questions about British landmarks, famous people and foods for them to guess what or who they are.
Perfect for date night and a special treat for the adults of the house, whisk yourselves away to Paris for a real European experience at home.
- Make your own delicious cheese plate with a glass of white sparkling wine or champagne to top it off – magnifique!
- French desserts are the ultimate in decadence, with crème brulee, macarons and profiteroles all on the menu. don't want to try your hand at french baking? Coco Cubano or Muffin Break have you sorted!
- Show off your French cooking skills (and satisfy your sweet tooth!) with this Profiteroles recipe.
- What to Watch – Midnight in Paris, Ratatouille, Chocolat, Amelie, Les Misérables, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Moulin Rouge or Madeline.
- French Music Playlist – Café Music from the City of Love.
Bring a taste of Spain to your home with a family tapas night! For those who may not be familiar, tapas are an appetiser or snack, and perfectly shareable for the whole family. Set the table for your very own Spanish feast and try some of our favourites:
- Tapas – Think olives, cured meats, cheese, calamari, croquettes, patatas bravas, garlic & chilli prawns, meatballs. Find these delicious serves at Farmer Jack's and The Joondalup Butcher.
- Recreate your own signature Spanish dishes and drinks – what could be better than paella, with a splash of sangria or red wine?
- Try this delicious Paella recipe, complete with Australian Green Prawns from Farmer Jacks's.
- Spanish / Latin Music Playlist – Latin Party Anthems.
It’s a place full of big food, personality, the most recognisable landmarks and probably some of the best travel memories anyone may have. Get everyone involved in the fun of the United States.
- Create a ‘make your own’ hamburger or hot dog bar at home with all the trimmings. Or, take it away from Grill'd or The Local Shack!
- Bring the true American flavour home with this easy Classic American Grilled Burger recipe, complete with onion rings!
- Treat yourselves to a pancake breakfast – top with your favourite cheeky toppings (we love all things sweet!) or seasonal fruits for a healthy version. Looking for something quick? Try Jamaica Blue, Health Freak Cafe or Coco Cubano!
- What to Watch – Home Alone, Home Alone 2, The Devil Wears Prada, The Godfather, Breakfast at Tiffany’s, Saturday Night Fever, Night at the Museum, La La Land or Speed.
- USA Music Playlist – Top 50 vibes.
Use this time to celebrate different cultures and introduce the family to some new traditions from afar, when we can’t physically be there in person. You could decide on a theme once a week, dedicate a weekend dinner or breakfast, or come up with your own destinations and create new ‘non travel’ memories!